Headaches & Migraines
Headaches are sometimes considered to be “normal” and part of everyday life for many people. What most headache sufferers don’t know is that having more than an occasional headache (3 or more per year) is not normal and should be evaluated by a licensed professional such as a medical doctor, chiropractor, or physical therapist.
Some headaches can be caused by misalignments of vertebrae (bones) in the cervical spine (neck), also known as “cervicogenic” headaches. These headaches can feel like muscular tension around the head, neck, and shoulders. Cervicogenic headache relief can be achieved through conservative treatments such as: medical, chiropractic, or physical therapy manipulations. Spinal manipulations can help realign the bones in the neck and as a result, can provide almost immediate pain relief.
Migraines, not to be confused with cervicogenic headaches, cause symptoms such as moderate to sharp and severe pain behind the eyes and/or head. Migraines can also cause nausea and vomiting along with, blurry vision, sensitivity to light, sound, and smell. These headaches need to be managed appropriately with proper education on sleep, hydration, and posture, given by a licensed medical doctor, chiropractor, or physical therapist.
We manage and treat headaches with the following:
- Patient education regarding the type of headaches and the specific causes
- Spinal manipulation and mobilization to improve mobility and function while releasing muscle tension
- Soft tissue therapy such as trigger point therapy and myofascial release using techniques such as Active Release and Graston
- Electrical and therapeutic modalities such as electric muscle stimulation, ultrasound, laser therapy, and cold or heat therapy
- Rehabilitation exercises such as neck and postural exercises to strengthen weakened tissues to prevent reoccurrence
- Ergonomic and lifestyle changes such as work ergonomics and dietary modifications
- Nutritional advice to reduce food sensitivities that may be causing the headaches
Options Rehab’s doctors and therapists have over 20 years of experience treating headaches and migraines conservatively without the use of drugs or surgery. We have earned the trust of our patients and their families while serving the township of Nutley, NJ and the surrounding communities of: Belleville, Bloomfield, Newark, Glen Ridge, Montclair, Clifton, Passaic, Lyndhurst, North Arlington, Kearny, Harrison, and Rutherford.
To schedule a Complimentary Headache Severity Check-Up please call 973-242-2022 today!